Return to taylormpolites.com

Friday, October 10, 2008

Diner d'Adieu

The biped's finger is really broken. He showed me the x-rays. Pretty ugly stuff, but not as ugly as this ridiculous splint he has to wear!



In spite of all that, he had a few people over for dinner in our new place on Mechanic Street. A sort of farewell to Franklin Street. This one came over and brought his dog, Gus.



Gus is obsessed with squeaking things. Watch this!



And that was MY toy! I like Gus and everything, but he likes to get all up in my face. So I spent a lot of the evening lap dancing. I even had to have a little drink at one point!



Today, the papers were signed and the biped no longer owns the place on Franklin Street. In this environment, that's a miracle. But he's still neighbors with Dahlia Mark---look what he brought over today!



For more thoughts on the end of an economy, I like what both Paul Krugman and this guy in the Washington Post have to say. This is nice from Paul.

The United States should have been in a much stronger position. And when Mr. Paulson announced his plan for a huge bailout, there was a temporary surge of optimism. But it soon became clear that the plan suffered from a fatal lack of intellectual clarity. Mr. Paulson proposed buying $700 billion worth of “troubled assets” — toxic mortgage-related securities — from banks, but he was never able to explain why this would resolve the crisis.

What he should have proposed instead, many economists agree, was direct injection of capital into financial firms: The U.S. government would provide financial institutions with the capital they need to do business, thereby halting the downward spiral, in return for partial ownership. When Congress modified the Paulson plan, it introduced provisions that made such a capital injection possible, but not mandatory. And until two days ago, Mr. Paulson remained resolutely opposed to doing the right thing.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Who?

My photo
Provincetown, Massachusetts, United States
I am a California native transplanted to the East Coast and have grown to accept both the snowy weather of winter and the hard-bitten attitudes of New Englanders. Since I moved here in October of 2006, I think I've become something of a native, although the locals will always call me a "bark-ashore". If you have any questions, just ask!