Return to taylormpolites.com

Friday, November 21, 2008

History Rescued

Hallelujah! Voters approved the debt for both the Phase I restoration of Town Hall as well as the design for Phase II, which involves replacing the outdated plumbing, electrical and other systems. In April or thereabouts, the town government will know the total cost of Phase II and then there will likely be a serious brawl at Town Meeting, but for now, the biped has stopped walking around with his shoulders up to his ears and gritting his teeth.


But I'm a small, neurotic dog and can't stop thinking about what has happened to other buildings in town. Right before my small brown eyes, the building at 162 Commercial Street, the home of George Elmer Browne, an important local artist and art teacher in the early 20th century, has been completely dismantled.


First, the structure was damaged when part of it was demolished and it was moved off its foundation.


Then the builders replaced it piece....


by piece....



by piece....the only thing really left are portions of the original sidewalls. The rest is gone into the dumpster.


Fortunately, it's getting too cold for me to spend too much time outside to see this.


I prefer to stay inside and hang out in a pile of laundry fresh from the dryer....


...and dream of Palm Springs. This is where we stayed when we were there in March 2007.



This is the face I make when bipeds hold me up in the air.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Who?

My photo
Provincetown, Massachusetts, United States
I am a California native transplanted to the East Coast and have grown to accept both the snowy weather of winter and the hard-bitten attitudes of New Englanders. Since I moved here in October of 2006, I think I've become something of a native, although the locals will always call me a "bark-ashore". If you have any questions, just ask!